pátek 29. dubna 2016

The English Version

How I Met Two Salamanders

The Fig.1: My first shot of the Sal I.


I do not think that they looked like the ones from the War with Salamanders, the famous sci-fi book written by our world known author, Karel Čapek. First the two salamanders were seen by my two usual attendants participating in our mutual trips, i.e. by my son and by our mutual friend. As usually, they stepped up alongside a brook faster than me. The Moravanský brook falls down from the hills rising high above Elbe the river in cascades interrupted by more or lesser direct stretches to finish its journey just in this river.
The Fig.2: The Sal I in more detail.


Than we started to climb up alongside the brook, Vendy´s car was left nearby the entrance into this preserved zone, in Dolní Zálezly the village. It was on April the 9th of this year (2016).

The Fig.3: The Sal I is heading for the opposite bank.

"There´s something interesting to you there!" both my attendants called while we were hardly in the half of our climb. They were standing and pointing down to the stream of the brook to our left side. It took a while only and I was with them. I saw the first salamander immediately. It rested with no motion in the middle of the brook, with its head situated upstream, its body caught among dead branch fragments and stones, the head and the back above water surface, the tail and lower parts of the body in water but it was translucent and then you could see its submerged body parts quite well though the transparency of running water was interrupted by its rippling.
The Fig.4: The first amphibian shows that it is at home both
in water and in land.

I wanted to take its pictures, the more the better, but I needed to approach to it as close as possible. Therefore I stepped out of the way and I tried stepping down a short stretch sloping down to the bank of the brook as silently as possible. Despite my efforts to reach the edge of the bank without the salamander noticed me the right contrast happened. It turned its head to the opposite bank and started swimming to it with waving motions of its body from one side to another. And while I was standing on the edge of the bank already I could observe it and take some shots of its escape, first in water and then in land among twigs and dead leaves. I ceased taking pictures of it while its head started disappearing in a crevice on the opposite bank.
The Fig.5: The Sal I in land.

Well, we continued on in our climbing up alongside the brook and for a while the second salamander was announced by my attendants. When I walked to the place I saw the same scene as a while before. The second salamander was in the same position in the middle of the brook as the first one did. This time the terrain sloping down to the bank of the brook was not so steep. And besides the brook was near in this place, I could jump on the opposite bank easily. I did this one or two meters higher upstream rightly before the salamander´s eyes.

The Fig.6: This is its last shot than its head disappeared in a crevice
under a rest of the dead branch.

Unlike the first one this kept its position with no signs of its escape. As soon as I found myself on the opposite bank I started approaching to the salamander in a very careful way till I reached the point at the same line with it. I could see that it disliked my doing 'cause it made an attempt to hide under water but a minute later its head reappeared above water surface and it became to be still. It was an ideal position to take a picture of it. All the time I photographed it this second salamander kept its position in the middle of the brook with no tendency to escape. We left it behind us in the same position. Its nerves were better than the first´s ones.

The Fig.7: The Valley of the Moravanský brook, its stretch
between the salamander I place and the salamander II place.



The Czech Version

Jak jsem potkal dva mloky


The Fig.8: This is my first shot of the Sal II. It is screened a bit with
twigs and fragments of dead branches.
Nemyslím, že ti dva vypadali jako ti z Války s mloky, sci-fi od našeho světově známého spisovatele Karla Čapka. První oba mloky spatřili moji dva obvyklí společníci, kteří se podílejí na našich společných výletech, tj. můj syn a náš společný přítel. Jako obvykle vystupovali vzhůru podél potoka rychleji než já. Moravanský potok spadá z kopců, jež se zvedají vysoko nad řekou Labe, v kaskádách přerušovaných více méně rovnými úseky a končí svou cestu právě v této řece.
The Fig.9: With its head above surface the Sal II gave the best chance to me
to take its best portrait. The shot is taken from the opposite bank.

Než jsme začali podél potoka stoupat, Vendyho auto bylo zanecháno nedaleko vstupu do této chráněné zóny v osadě Dolní Zálezly. Bylo to 9. dubna letošního roku.
The Fig.10: To dive was its only attempt how to escape from my attention.

"Támhle je pro tebe něco zajímavého!" volali oba moji kumpáni, zatímco jsme byli sotva v polovině stoupání. Stáli a ukazovali dolů do proudu potoka po naší levé straně. Trvalo  jen chvilku a byl jsem u nich. Prvního mloka jsem spatřil okamžitě. Spočíval nehybně uprostřed potoka, s hlavou proti proudu, tělo zachyceno mezi úlomky odumřelých větví a kameny, hlava a hřbet nad vodou, ocas a spodní části těla ve vodě, ale protože byla průhledná, mohli jste vidět docela dobře jeho ponořené tělní části, i když průhlednost tekoucí vody narušovalo její čeření.
The Fig.11: Its deepest dive with its head under a dead branch.

Chtěl jsem udělat jeho obrázky, čím víc, tím lépe, ale potřeboval jsem se k němu přiblížit co nejblíž. Proto jsem sešel z cesty a snažil jsem se sestupovat krátkým úsekem, který se svažoval ke břehu potoka, co možná nejtišeji. Vzdor mé snaze dosáhnout okraje břehu, aniž by si mě mlok všimnul, stal se pravý opak.

The Fig.12: A while later its head reappeared above the surface.

Stočil hlavu k opačnému břehu a začal k němu plavat vlnitými pohyby těla ze strany na stranu. A zatímco jsem už stál na kraji břehu, mohl jsem ho pozorovat a pořizovat jeho snímky, nejprve ve vodě a posléze na souši mezi větvičkami a odumřelým listím. S jeho focením jsem přestal, když mu hlava začala mizet v jakési spáře na protějším břehu.
The Fig.13: The Sal II with its head and its body emersed above water.

Pokračovali jsme ve stoupání podél potoka a za chvilku moji společníci ohlašovali druhého mloka. Když jsem k místu došel, spatřil jsem stejnou scénu jako chvíli před tím. Druhý mlok se nacházel ve stejné pozici uprostřed potoka jako ten první. Tentokrát se terén tak moc ke břehu potoka nesvažoval a navíc byl v tom místě potok úzký, lehce jsem mohl přeskočit na protější břeh. Udělal jsem to pár metrů výš proti proudu přímo před mločím zrakem.

The Fig.14: Its left forelimb is well seen on this picture. It tried to crawl the
dead branch up.
Na rozdíl od prvního mloka, tenhle držel pozici bez náznaků úniku. Jakmile jsem se ocitl na druhém břehu, začal jsem se k mlokovi velice opatrně přibližovat, dokud jsem nedosáhl bodu ve stejné linii s ním. Viděl jsem, že se mu moje počínání nezamlouvá, protože se pokusil potopit pod vodu, ale o chvíli později se jeho hlava znovu objevila nad hladinou a znehybněl.

The Fig.15: The Sal II is resting on the dead branch with its two forelimbs.

Byla to ideální pozice k jeho nafocení. Tenhle druhý mlok, po celou dobu, co jsem ho fotil, zaujímal stejnou pozici uprostřed potoka bez tendence uniknout. Zanechávali jsme ho za sebou v téže pozici. Měl lepší nervy než ten první.


The Fig.16: My last shot of the Sal II in more detail.

České popisky k obrázkům:

Obr.1: Můj první snímek mloka I.
Obr.2: Mlok I detailněji.
Obr.3: Mlok I míří k protějšímu břehu.
Obr.4: První obojživelník ukazuje, že je doma ve vodě i na souši.
Obr.5: Mlok I na souši.
Obr.6: Tohle je poslední záběr, než jeho hlava zmizela ve štěrbině pod odumřelou větví.
Obr.7: Údolí Moravanského potoka, úsek mezi místem s mlokem I a místem s mlokem II.
Obr.8: Toto je můj první snímek mloka II. Je trochu cloněn větévkami a úlomky odumřelých větví.
Obr.9: Mlok II mi s hlavou nad hladinou poskytl nejlepší šanci k pořízení jeho nejlepšího portrétu. Záběr je pořízen z protějšího břehu.
Obr.10: Potopit se byl jeho jediný pokus jak uniknout z mé pozornosti.
Obr.11: Jeho nejhlubší ponor s hlavou pod odumřelou větví.
Obr.12: Po chvilce se jeho hlava opět zjevila nad hladinou.
Obr.13: Mlok II hlavou a tělem vynořený nad vodou.
Obr.14: Na obrázku je dobře vidět jeho levá přední končetina. Pokoušel se vylézt na odumřelou větev.
Obr.15: Mlok II spočívá na mrtvé větví oběma předními končetinami.
Obr.16: Můj poslední snímek mloka II ve větším detailu.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat