úterý 19. srpna 2014

Fig.1: A Sacred Celtic Wood in my imagination.
The English Version

Am I a Celt or not?

A time before our Velvet revolution (Czech republic) I began getting an unclear feeling. Something in my brain created an idea of my possible Celtic origin. The more I thought of it the more I was convinced that I could be rather a Celt than a Slav.

There was known quite a little about the Celts in our previous red regime. My teachers of our history at the elementary school talked about the Slavs prevalently. The Communistic totality wasn´t interested in the Celtic propagation. Its leaders inclined to the USSR and then they preferred "this East oak" (said by words of  P.O. Hwiezdoslav or J. Kollár, the Slovakian regenerators of our national identity in the18th century) rather than The Celtic culture with its relationships to the West.

Officially we´ve still been thought to be the Slavs but I´ve still been convinced that this view hasn´t been exact, that the whole matter has been much more complicated.

Fig.2: A path up to the Celtic memory in Závist the hill.
The something in my brain, the idea that I could be rather a Celt than a Slav didn´t germinate from anything. There were indirect clues to it.
My country has been situated in the heart of Europe. Since the prehistory this land has been the busy trade crossing of various nations from all the four world sides.
My country has represented the ultimate border between the West and the East, it has been something like a transition zone. Such zones have been called the ecotons in ecology and they´ve been  typical of their high species diversity with a lot of various hybridous forms given by the tight contact of some two different biotops, a forest and a meadow for example.

Then I realized my spontaneous tendency to read The West authors, especially the authors from England, The US and France. My mom liked reading the English and the American detective stories. From my twelve or thirteen I read together with her detective stories by Ed McBain, E. Queen, D. Sayers, R. Chandller, E.S. Gardner, A. Christie and many others. I liked stories of Sherlock Holmes and doctor Watson by sir A.C. Doyle. I listened to his Baskerwill´s Dog in a radio performance with a great tension and interest. I read it too but the radio interpretation was precious particulary.
I couldn´t claim that I understood all this well in that time, but I could claim that I liked reading it and with a great pleasure.What I couldn´t understand to in that time I consulted my Mother or Father or I made use of various dictionaries. In fact, by my reading I learnt much more than in the school.
 I can tell the same about the West literary classics.
Of course, I read also our writers and other foreign writers, i.e. the East authors but only a few of them could attract my attention to the extent as the West authors did. Besides the classical and modern Russian authors were imposed on us in the context of our then school system.
Fig.3: A picture from the climb up to Závist the hill.

Only several years later I´ve gotten a real interest in the Russian literature and I´ve discovered its qualities for myself. The same I can tell about the cinematography, the music and the art. But despite of my present objective access to both the West and the East cultural aspects I´ve felt to belong to the West culture. I´ve found the East culture to be very interesting, to be full of beautiful matters nevertheless to be strange to me.
With a bit of an exaggeration I´d say that our present and natural free West lifestyle has been accomplished rather by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Doors, J. Hendrix, L. Armstrong and many many others than by all the West politics. Yes, I´ve been convinced that our previous red establishment has been defeated by the free modern music of the West. It has been the most effective rammer against the Iron Curtain from the West to the East.

After the Velvet revolution the Celts have become more popular in Czech republic. Suddenly it has turned out that their importance in our land has been much more significant than the experts had supposed.
Then, one day, I came upon an article in my favourite magazine Vesmír (The Universe in Czech, see some of my previous blogs), it was in the post revolution time already. Its content enforced my conviction that I could be a Celt. The article treated with a rare inborn disease, the cystic fibroses. The gene implicating the CF has been more frequent in populations of the Celtic origin. To a great surprise of all the researchers one of the European localities with the higher occuring of the CF gene has been found also among the Walachians living in the Walachian region of the North Moravia.
Since that time it has been my strongest suggestion confirming the higher likeliness of my possible Celtic ancestors ´cause my Mother has come just from the Walachian region of Moravia (from Vsetín, the Moravian town).
Fig.4: You can see Zbraslav the town in the distance.
I wanted to learn more about the Celts, the more the better. I got two e-books in the English with this theme from my son. The books are highly qualified, the first treats with a general history of the Celts and the second depicts a genetical research on a share of the Celtic genes in populations of The Great Britain, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Hebrides and Orkney Islands.

The books gave a plenty of new information to me. To my surprise I learnt that the Celts formed various clans distributed through out all the Europe. They left no writing materials, all their knowledge was passed by word. Their knowledge was the matter of the druids, their spiritual and intellectual elite. They were very courage warriors. The name "Celt" was used by the Roman and it meant something like a barbarian from the European north. The name included all the Celtic clans to the Roman. The most information of the Celts have come just from the Roman historians. Their messages of them have used to be distorted, it hasn´t always been easy to get any true information of the Celts from them. Some of the Celtic clans penetrated from the central Europe to its far northen, eastern, southern and western parts. Interestingly, the Celtic clans have never been able to unite together and to found their own country.
The archaelogists have been finding only their oppidums, graves, tools, arms, jewells, dishes and smaller statues. They were pagans with their various gods and goddesses, they had their religious and social customs connected with the Nature. Some of them have still survived though they´ve been modified in various ways.
Fig.5: An informative table on the top of Závist the hill, near to Zbraslav the town.

My idea of all the information is as follows:
Today you can find no blooded Celt throughout all the Europe. You can find only people with a higher or lesser share of the Celtic genes in their bloods. The true Celts have disappeared forever. It hasn´t been any genocide leading to their total death. Then where have all they been to? They´ve assimilated with other nations including the Teuton and the Slav clans. They´ve still lived in our genoms, they´ve become a spice of the genofund of our present European population.
I´d like to stress that I suffer from no Celtic crank and I´m not a member of any of all those pseudo-Celtic groups you can find in the Net.

My son bought the DNA test to me two years ago. Maybe he couldn´t bear my uncertainty as well as his one own if there were or not any traits of our Celtic origins in my genom. I took swabs from my mouth and sent the samples to the lab. After several weeks I got outcomes. Unfortunately the analyses of my DNA  has showed no clear Celtic suggestion of my Celtic ancestors, neither after my Father nor after my Mother. According to this analyses of my DNA I´ve belonged to an average mixed up Slavic population. But the hope dies last. There has been one hopeful remark in the genetic verdict: Some Mother´s ancestors could come from the south France.
I´m not going to criticize the lab´s seriousness and qualities of its procedures but I can´t help myself to express a doubt about my DNA analyses. The lab services of this kind have been quite new in my country. The research labs have needed money. This has been an easy way how to accomplish it. From my point of view it has appeared to be the same as if you visit to a seerees with her cards or a crystal sphere. Believe or not. If I believe in something in this aspect so it is the believe in my own thoughts and feelings. And so I´ve still believed in my small Celt encoded somewhere in my DNA. I´ve been doing it with a sober-minded unwordliness.
Fig.6: The archaeology of the place on other table.

To the pictures:
Me and my son realized a journey to this known Celtic place on the top of Závist the hill (The Envi in English) near to Zbraslav the town, Czech republic, two or three years ago. When the excavations were ended up the archaeologists overwhelmed them. Now there has been nothing on the hill except for the informative tables and panels.
We made all this journey by feet from Dolní Chabry in Prague up to the top of Envi the hill near to Zbraslav the town. Well, a solid accomplishment I´d say!



The Czech Version

Jsem Kelt nebo ne?

Nějakou dobu před naší Sametovou revolucí jsem začal nabývat nejasný pocit. Cosi v mém mozku stvořilo představu o mém možném keltském původu. Čím víc jsem o tom přemýšlel, tím víc jsem byl přesvědčen, že bych mohl být spíš Kelt než Slovan.

V našem předešlém rudém režimu bylo o Keltech známo jen málo. Moji učitelé naší historie mluvili převážně o Slovanech. Komunistickou totalitu propagace Keltů nezajímala. Její vůdci inklinovali k SSSR a tudíž preferovali spíše "tohle východní dubisko" (řečeno slovy P.O. Hwiezdoslava či J. Kolára, slovenských obnovitelů naší národní identity v 18. století), než keltskou kulturu s jejími vztahy k západní kultuře.
Fig.7.: The roofed main informative panels on Závist the hill, near Zbraslav the town.

Oficiálně jsme stále považováni za Slovany, ale já jsem stále přesvědčen, že tento pohled není přesný, že celá věc je mnohem složitější.

To něco v mém mozku, ona představa, že bych mohl být spíš Kelt než Slovan, nevyklíčilo z ničeho. Existovala k tomu nepřímá vodítka.
Moje vlast je situována v srdci Evropy. Tohle území bylo už od pravěku rušnou obchodní křižovatkou různých národů ze všech čtyř světových stran.

Moje vlast představuje nejzašší hranici mezi Západem a Východem, je čímsi podobným přechodné zóně. V ekologii se takové zóny označují jako ekotony a jsou charakteristické svou vysokou druhovou rozmanitostí se spoustou rozmanitých hybridních forem danou těsným kontaktem nějakých dvou odlišných biotopů, např. lesa a louky.
Fig.8: Detailes of the excavations.

Posléze jsem si uvědomil svůj spontánní sklon číst západní autory, zejména autory z Anglie, USA a Francie. Máma ráda četla anglické a americké detektivky. Od dvanácti či třinácti let jsem spolu s ní četl detektivky od Ed McBaina, E. Queena, D. Sayersové, R. Chandllera, E.S. Gardnera, A. Christie a mnoha mnoha dalších. Měl jsem rád příběhy Sherlocka Holmese a doktora Watsona od sira A.C. Doyla. S velkým napětím a zájmem jsem poslouchal rozhlasové provedení jeho Psa Baskerwillského. Též jsem ho četl, ale tahle rozhlasová interpretace byla zvláště povedená.
Nemohl bych tvrdit, že jsem tomu všemu tenkrát dobře rozuměl, ale mohu tvrdit, že jsem to četl rád a s velkým potěšením. Tomu, čemu jsem tehdy nerozuměl, konzultoval jsem s mámou nebo s tátou, popř. jsem využíval různé slovníky. Vlastně jsem se čtením naučil mnohem víc než ve škole.
Totéž mohu říci o západních literárních klasicích.
Fig.9: Further information of the local excavations.

Samozřejmě, že jsem četl také naše autory a jiné cizí spisovatele, tzn. autory z Východu, ale jen málo z nich dokázalo upoutat mou pozornost do té míry jako autoři západní. Krom toho, klasičtí a moderní ruští autoři nám byli vnucováni v rámci našeho tehdejšího školského systému.

Teprve o několik let později jsem získal reálný zájem o ruskou literaturu a objevil si sám pro sebe její kvality. Totéž mohu říci o kinematografii, hudbě a výtvarném umění. Avšak vzdor svému současnému objektivnímu přístupu k západním i východním kulturním aspektům se cítím příslušet k západní kultuře. Východní kultura mi připadá velmi zajímavou, plnou krásných věcí, nicméně, připadá mi cizí.
S trochou nadsázky bych řekl, že náš současný svobodný západní životní stil byl úspěšně dosažen spíše Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors, J. Hendrixem, L. Armstrongem a mnoha dalšími než veškerou západní politikou. Ano, jsem přesvědčen, že naše dřívější rudé zřízení bylo poraženo svobodnou moderní muzikou Západu. Ona byla tím nejefektivnějším beranidlem proti Železné oponě ze Západu na Východ.
Fig.10: Further information of the local excavations.

Po Sametové revoluci se Keltové v České republice stali populárnějšími. Najednou se ukazuje, že jejich význam na našem území je mnohem podstatnější než odborníci předpokládali.
Pak jsem jednou narazil na článek ve svém oblíbeném magazínu Vesmír (viz některé z mých předešlých blogů), to bylo už v porevoluční době. Jeho obsah posílil mé přesvědčení, že bych mohl být Kelt. Článek pojednával o vzácné vrozené chorobě, cystické fibróze (CF). Gen, který tuto chorobu podmiňuje, je častější v populacích keltského původu. K velkému překvapení všech výzkuníků byla jedna z evropských lokalit s vyšším výskytem CF genu objevena také mezi Valachy, kteří žijí v oblasti Severní Moravy.Od té doby je to moje nejsilnější indicie, která potvrzuje vyšší pravděpodobnost mých možných keltských předků, protože máma pocházela právě z valašské oblasti severní Moravy (ze Vsetína).
Fig.11: Last information on the main panels.

Chtěl jsem se o Keltech dozvědět víc, čím více, tím lépe. Od syna jsem dostal dvě e-knihy v anglině s tímto tématem.Ty knihy jsou vysoce odborné, první pojednává o všeobecné historii Keltů a druhá popisuje genetický výzkum podílu keltských genů v populacích Velké Británie, Irska, Skotska, Walesu, Hebrid a Orknejí.

Knihy mi poskytly spoustu nových informací. Ke svému překvapení jsem se dozvěděl, že Keltové vytvářeli rozmanité kmeny rozšířené po celé Evropě. Nezanechali žádné písemné materiály, všechny jejich znalosti se předávaly ústně. Jejich vědění bylo záležitostí druidů, jejich náboženské a intelektuální elity. Byli to velice odvážní válečníci. Označení "Kelt" používali Římané a znamenalo něco jako barbar z evropského severu. Pro Římany to jméno zahrnovalo všechny keltské kmeny. Nejvíce informací o Keltech pochází od římských historiků. Jejich zprávy o nich bývají zkreslené, není z nich pokaždé snadné získat o nich nějaké pravdivé informace. Některé keltské kmeny pronikaly ze střední Evropy do jejích vzdálených severních, východních, jižních a západních částí. Je zajímavé, že keltské kmeny se nikdy nedokázaly sjednotit a založit si vlastní stát. Archeologové nacházejí jen jejich opida, hroby, nástroje, zbraně, šperky a menší sošky. Byli to pohané s rozmanitými bohy a bohyněmi, měli své náboženské a sociální zvyky spojené s přírodou. Některé z nich stále přežívají, i když jsou všemožně upravené.
Fig.12: The terrain was overwhelmed when the excavations were over.

Má představa o všech těch informacích je následující:
Dneska  čistokrevného Kelta v celé Evropě najít nemůžete. Můžete najít pouze jedince s vyšším či menším podílem keltských genů v krvi. Opravdoví Keltové navždy zmizeli. Nešlo o žádnou genocidu, která by vedla k jejich zániku. Kam se tedy poděli? Splynuli s jinými národy včetně germánských a slovanských kmenů. Stále žijí v našich genomech, stali se jakýmsi kořením genofondu naší současné evropské populace.
Rád bych zdůraznil, že netrpím žádnou keltománií a že nejsem členem žádné z oněch pseudokeltských skupin, které můžete najít na Netu.

Před dvěma roky mi syn koupil DNA test. Možná, že nemohl vystát mou i svou nejistou, zda v mém jakož i v jeho genomu jsou či nejsou stopy našeho keltského původu. Udělal jsem stěry z úst a vzorky jsem odeslal do laboratoře. Výsledky jsem dostal po několika týdnech. Bohužel, analýza mé DNA neukázala žádný náznak mých keltských předků, po otci ani po matce. Podle této analýzy mé DNA patřím k průměrně namixované slovanské populaci. Naděje však umírá poslední. V tom genetickém verdiktu je jedna nadějná poznámka: Nějací matčini předci mohli pocházet z jižní Francie.
Nehodlám kritizovat serióznost laboratoře a kvality jejích postupů, ale nemohu si pomoci, abych nevyjádřil pochybnost nad rozborem mé DNA. Laboratorní servis tohoto typu je v mé zemi dosti nový. Výzkumné laboratoře potřebují peníze. Tohle je snadný způsob, jak toho úspěšně dosáhnout. Z mého pohledu se to jeví stejné, jako když navštívíte vědmu s jejími kartami či křišťálovou koulí. Věřte či ne. Pokud v tomto ohledu v něco věřím, tak je to víra ve vlastní myšlenky a pocity. A tak pořád věřím ve svého malého Kelta zakódovaného kdesi v mé DNA. Dělám to se střízlivým nadhledem.

K snímkům:
Já a můj syn jsme uskutečnili pouť na tohle známé keltské místo na vrcholu pahorku Závist poblíž Zbraslavi před dvěma či třemi lety. Po ukončení vykopávek je archeologové zasypali. Teď na tom vrchu není nic kromě informačních tabulí a panelů. Celou pouť jsme ušli po svých z Dolních Chaber v Praze až po vrchol Závisti nedaleko Zbraslavi. Mno, řekl bych, že solidní výkon!

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat